Hi Folks: As you likely know, last Saturday (July 4) was a pretty special day. Not only is it our son’s birthday, but it was International Free Hugs Day! (the first Saturday in July every year). As we’ve done for the past six years, we took our Free Hugs posters downtown to the Homecoming Statue at Ship Point and shared hugs with an amazing group of people.
Before we go any further, I must admit that (for the first time ever) I neglected to make an image of Marcia in her hugging attire and have had to fall back on one from last year. She’s as beautiful as ever; you’ll just have to take my word for it.
So, in no particular order, many thanks to:
- the Victoria Ska and Reggae Festival for providing such great background music!
- the several festival volunteers and the two security guards who came by for hugs
- the woman who brought over a cup of ice water (we did have water with us, but the effort was greatly appreciated!)
- the woman who offered money (also appreciated, but the hugs are free)
- the man who gave Mike a free concert ticket (passed on with appreciation to someone who really wanted to attend the festival)
- everyone who provided smiles, waves, stories, questions, photo opportunities, fist bumps, high fives, air hugs, handshakes, one-armed hugs, cyclist hugs, hug squeezes, dog hugs, couple hugs, group hugs, spontaneous group hugs, running hugs, prayers, thankfulness, blessings and hundreds of other special moments – each one unique and each one treasured.
Hug someone you love today. Or a stranger. Or, preferably, both!
P.S. Thanks too to the man (and dog) who stopped Mike on the way home from the grocery store to ask for a hug. He saw us downtown as he was riding by on his bike, but couldn’t stop at the time. We’ll hug anyone, anywhere! Well, pretty much, anyway. 🙂