Friday once again, and time for this week’s ‘Being Green‘ post.Â In the links below you’ll find several posts from people talking about the best ‘green’ topics of 2010 and predictions for the green future of 2011, so I won’t repeat them all here.Â I will say that 2010 brought a number of wonderful new technologies and ideas, several insightful conferences, and is further proof that we as humans have the capacity to make our world better.Â As to what 2011 will bring?Â Personally I’m going to adopt a ‘wait and see’ attitude, but I am looking forward with anticipation to more new ideas, new technologies and new projects that will bring us, both individually and collectively into a ‘greener’ future!Â This being my first ‘Being Green’ post of 2011, I should probably reiterate what you can expect to find on this section of our blog.Â On Fridays (almost always!) I write a short post on a topic related to green living in some capacity – this started out as a section devoted to green building specifically, but has expanded to include issues of sustainability in a larger context, corporate social responsibility (CSR) and other topics related to living in harmony with this little blue marble of ours.Â For the most part I write about solutions rather than problems, and I tend to focus on positive innovations rather than negative news as the latter is well covered elsewhere.Â I don’t generally profile specific products or services unless I think they’re really innovative, but there are few hard and fast rules here!Â I also add a list of links to other sites of interest that I’ve come across in the previous week.Â Most of these come from links I’ve encountered through Twitter, and some come from e-newsletters I receive.Â I trust you will find some benefit in what you read here, and invite you to leave a comment on anything ‘green’ you’ve encountered, sites you think others would like to know about, etc.
BTW, did you know that ‘sustainability was considered the ‘jargoniest jargon‘ of 2010? It means issues like green living and – dare I say it – ‘sustainability’ are becoming a greater part of our everyday culture, and this is definitely a good thing!
Okay, the links for this week include:
- The 10 Most Hopeful Green Business Stories of 2010
- CSR 2010: 5 Reasons Why Sustainability Grew Up in 2010
- Pledge to Build a Healthier EQc4!
- Six Green Building Trends to Watch
- Travel Green Israel
- â€œMy office has potentially high-emitting materials in it and I canâ€™t open any windows. What should I do?â€
- Cool Strategies: Staying Warm When It’s Cold
- The ecosystem engineer: Research looks at beavers’ role in river restoration
- Rooftops, Empty Lots or the Desert: Where Will the Future of Solar Lie?
- The Environment Report
- DOE to Provide $7 Million to Support Updated Building Codes in 24 States
- The Green Practitioner: Sustainable Design Flourishes
- UPS Human Resources Function Cited Among Best In Country
- The Start of Something New
- Public Wants Corporate America to be Ethical, Responsible
- Open Planet Ideas – How can todayâ€™s technology help us make the most of our planet’s resources?
- New Buildings in California Now Required to Be More Efficient
- USGBC: Greenbuild 2011 – Call for Proposals
- US EPA: Go Green! Monthly Newsletter
- Gold standard for green buildings under fire
- Sustainable Green Building Today
- upcycled iPad cases, folios and sleeves
- Restorative Buildings – UBC Public Affairs
- Bullitt Foundation’s ‘green’ office building gets key permit from city
- USGBC: LEED on the Ropes?
- Yet another alternative design for wind farms
- Smart SchoolsNewsletter: Subscription Center
- 5 Predictions for Sustainability & CSR in 2011
- Top 5 articles regarding nature biomimicry in 2010
- Reading the CSR Tea Leaves: Five Predictions for 2011
- The Dirt on Organic Produce
- Four Ways to Look at Global Carbon Footprints
- Green Tip â€“ Improving Indoor Air Quality
- The Top 10 Green Business Stories of 2010
- The Business Case for Green Building
- Consider the Tardigrade
- Five Myths About Green Building
- Sustainable Santa Monica: Heal the Bay | Underwater Parks Day Photography & Video Competition (submission deadline is Jan. 10, 2011)
- 10 Carbon Reporting Trends that Defined 2010
- Beyond Optics: Why Board Diversity Really Matters
- Planet Green
- GreenSpec Updates: Products from Greenbuild
- Cascadia Green Building Council News
- The Year in Green, Part 1
- ISEAL Alliance
- Green Building Advisor eLetter
- LEEDuser News
- Video Highlights of Greenbuild 2010
- Our 2011 Intention for gaNEW: Itâ€™s About You
- Continuous Insulation: Plaster & the Energy Code Webinar, Jan. 26, 2011
- Do green certifications matter?
- News from Sustainable Santa Monica
- Canada Green Building Council
- inhabitat weekly news
- Greenroofs TV: This Week in Review
Okay, that’s it for now. Have a great week!
P.S. How cool is this? “The Ministry of Stories“. Pretty cool if you ask me, and I’m old enough to know the difference between ‘cool’ and ‘kewl’.